Sunday 22 September 2013

Rush Review

I've heard a few good words about Rush, but I didn't really think it was my kind of film; it's based on the true story of the relations between two 1970's Formula 1 drivers. So, why did I go and see it? Because I spend too much time at home, Hannah suggested we see it as a last resort, and because Chris Hemsworth (aka Thor) was playing one of the lead roles. That sort of swung it for me.

Chris Hemsworth is actually Australian, but usually puts on an American accent or speaks like a Norse god, depending on the film. But for this film, he was, of course, playing James Hunt, a very British racing driver. So, it took me a little while to get my head around Thor suddenly being British, especially as he still had the long blonde hair going on. But, I got over it, so it's okay.

I didn't realise until I saw his name in the end credits, but Hans Zimmer was responsible for the music, which made me happy. I've always liked Hans Zimmer for some reason, even though I don't even know what he looks like. He's just good at being responsible for the music. Especially in Batman. Why do I keep talking about modern day superhero movies instead of 1970's Formula 1 movies? Sorry.

The film had a bit of everything, which I like to see in films; romance (if you consider promiscuity to be romance, although both drivers got married in the film), action, humour and a little gore. I've never really been one for gory movies; I can handle it, but if I don't have to, I prefer not to. The gore, being unexpected was not my favorite part, but I survived. Hannah did too, but only just. It really made me think about the consequences of race driving, and how every time the drivers get into their cars, "there's a 20% chance they won't survive the race".

On the whole, I thought the film was really well directed, so commendations to Mr Ron Howard. The shots filmed from inside the helmet, focussing on the eye movements of the respective driver were very simple, but really effective. I'm probably the only one who thought so, but I found the clips pretty unnerving. Also, I really liked how they would show the engine of the cars whilst they were racing as well; shots of the pistons moving overlaid with clips of fire from the exhaust looked fantastic on the big screen. Just little things like that really made the film.

The movie really made me think about winning and losing and how it means different things to different people. There’s a pretty moving scene in the final championship race when Niki Lauda gets out of the car and quits, because to him, risking your life to win, isn't winning. So whilst, Hunt carries on to win the race, risking his life in the dreadful conditions, Lauda is with his wife. That made me think; what would I risk to win something like that? A world championship? Different people go to different levels, and that’s something I've never really considered before.


Sometimes it's good to watch something you wouldn't normally watch, or read a book you wouldn't normally read; you might learn something new, or take up interest in something you've never really bothered with. I always change the channel when Formula 1 comes on TV; watching cars go round in circles at high speed isn’t something that routinely interests me. But now that I have a different outlook on the ‘sport’, I might just give it a second chance.



A/N: I wrote this Sunday morning, and Sunday afternoon the Singapore Grand Prix was on BBC2. So I watched it. And to my intense surprise I actually quite enjoyed it. I didn't watch the whole race, I just caught the last 10 laps, although I think watching all 61 laps would have bored me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment