Thursday 2 January 2014

Happy New Year!

I usually don't get very bothered about the beginning of a new year, as I rarely make resolutions, much less stick to them. But this year, as I sat in front of my TV watching the fireworks go off on BBC1, I felt an overwhelming sense of panic. Whilst my sister was checking that the cat wasn't too scared of the fireworks, I was sat there trying not to think about what 2014 will undoubtedly present to me.

There are some things that I'm looking forward to and I wish would arrive sooner, but there are others that know are going to come all to quickly, namely sitting my GCSE exams, getting my results and starting 6th form.

The event I'm looking forward to the most is going to see the Strictly Come Dancing Live tour, the tickets for which were in my Christmas stocking. I got way too emotionally involved in the recent series of Strictly; I cried at a pre-recorded results show. At that point, I realised I was taking the show a bit too seriously. Nonetheless, I am more than excited to be seeing some of my favorite celebrities and professionals live in February.

I'm also half looking forward to my 16th birthday. I feel really materialistic saying this, but I do quite enjoy birthday, especially as there is a tradition in my family to have a Chinese takeaway for each birthday meal. My Dad's birthday is the 23rd of December, so we have Chinese for tea, and have the leftovers on Christmas Eve, and then Christmas dinner on Christmas Day.

But I'm also slightly scared to turn 16. I know it's an irrational fear, but I feel old thinking about it. There are so many things that you're free to do, legally, once you're 16. You can even get married. I just feel as though being 16 weighs you down with a load of decisions and responsibilities that I'm not prepared for, but that't probably just me being me; a worrier and an overthinker. 

There's also the dreaded exams. Back at the beginning of Year 10, June of Year 11 seemed worlds away, but now it's a harsh reality. In about 5 months time, I'll be sitting exams that basically sculpt and mould the rest of your life. After getting my mock exam results back, I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, especially now that I know I was a mark or two off a higher grade in some subjects. My results weren't even that bad, but I think I felt like the exams went pretty well and didn't get the results I thought I was going to get. I just hope I don't feel disappointed come results day in August.

Once I've gone through the GCSE exams and results, I'll have 6th form to look forward to and worry about. I'm kind of excited to be going into more depth in Biology and English Literature, as they're subjects I genuinely enjoy and find interesting, and I'm willing to work hard at. I'm also keen to start Psychology, as it's always been an interest of mine, so I'm looking forward to learning more about the human brain. I am nervous about the undoubted increase in workload, however. It's not that I don't want to do it; I'm more worried about whether I'll actually be able to do it, and to get all homework in on time. I guess we'll have to wait and see. For now, I'm focussing my worry on my GCSE's.

No comments:

Post a Comment