Sunday 12 January 2014

Obsessions

It has come to my attention that I have developed a a strong liking for several film franchises over the Christmas holidays, which have been heightened even more recently; being ill has given me the excuse to mope about the house all weekend watching films.

I’ve always kind of liked the Harry Potter films and books, but I managed to watch each of the eight films at least twice over the holidays, and the result of this is a rather worrying attachment to the series. ITV showed all the films over the holidays, most of which I watched, as well as ‘Behind the Scenes’ side shows, and now I can quote a line from the films/books in almost any daily situation.

It’s a similar situation with the Lord of the Rings films, as well as The Hobbit. I watched An Unexpected Journey a while ago, but didn’t have much appreciation or understanding of the film. Then, on my Dad’s birthday, the two of us went to see the second instalment, which ended on a ridiculous cliff-hanger. I’ve never read the book before, and had no idea if and how Smaug would meet his end, and whether the Dwarves would reclaim the mountain. So I read the book, and I now understand the two films much more. I do think they could have made two films, however, instead of three; I felt some scenes in Desolation of Smaug were a bit drawn out and violent. The Lord of the Rings films are another of my new obsessions, Legolas and Gimli and particular. I’ve never seen the films or read the books, as I thought they were boys’ films and girls wouldn’t like them and that they were rubbish. But I proved myself wrong. After enjoying the Desolation of Smaug, I thought LOTR would be worth a shot. Especially as the three Blu-Ray discs were on sale for a grand total of £10.

Having read The Hobbit by this point, I got really into the first film, although I didn’t know all three films were around the 3 hour mark. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the trilogy, and I’m actually quite surprised at the amount of humour there was in the films, particularly with Legolas and Gimli, which is why I think I’ve grown to love them so much. Although Legolas isn’t exactly hard to look at.

I don’t really know what the purpose of this post is supposed to be, I think it’s just because Harry Potter and LOTR are on my mind a lot, (for better or for worse, I have no idea) especially as I have many tracks from their respective soundtracks on one of my Spotify playlists, which I’m listening to as I write this. I think I was just trying to say we all have different obsessions, whether we’re proud of them or not, and mine have had quite a quick onset.



They’re Taking the Hobbits to Isengard: www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY

No comments:

Post a Comment