Sunday 14 April 2013

Daytime Television


During the holidays, daytime TV is something most people have to deal with, unless you’re insanely busy or lucky enough to spend time away in a ridiculously sunny country.

I, for one, am not one of those people.

I haven’t exactly been given a generous array of wonderful activities to do over the holidays; they have mostly consisted of revision, homework, sleep, Tumblr, Twitter, and of course, television.

The quality of daytime TV is, in one word, dreadful. More often than not, it’s unbelievably repetitive and dull, and nothing productive ever comes out of it. Unless you like cooking lunch with Gino and Mel.

I have found myself zonked out on the sofa, watching endless repeats of Top Gear on Dave almost every day. If it’s not on the main channel, it’s bound to be on the +1 channel. I don’t mind Top Gear; I actually quite enjoy watching the 3 idiots. But when you know there’s nothing else on to watch, like you’re stuck with it, I think it makes it less enjoyable. This is especially so when you know the words to a few episodes, they’ve been shown so many times in 2 weeks.

The Jeremy Kyle Show is often on, but I can only watch that for 10 minutes or so before changing the channel. This is mostly because the people on the show tend to be a waste of airtime and what they’re arguing about is generally very materialistic and preventable if the people on the show were more considerate and thoughtful before jumping into bed with one another. I just get fed up of all the shouting and arguing over idiotic and pointless things.

Anyway. That’s beside the point.

On the rare occasion when mum lets me stay off school when I’m ill, the quality of the television shows make me feel worse, if anything. It’s normally Homes Under The Hammer on BBC1, Bargain Hunters on BBC2 and Jeremy Kyle on every ITV channel possible. Which leaves me with Dave, as repeats of Top Gear is pretty much the only show I can bear.

The holidays are far worse; it’s like being off ill for 2 weeks. Well, for me anyway. I think TV would be much better if there was more variety; that way people wouldn’t get so sick of the same shows, repeated over and over again.

Or maybe everyone else adores Dickinson’s Real Deal and it’s just me.


No comments:

Post a Comment