Friday 19 April 2013

Teachers


“Teachers these days seem to care more about what students look like than our education”


I definitely agree with this. It’s almost a fact. It’s not all teachers, so I don’t want to label everyone, but it seems to me like teachers aren’t really doing what they’re paid to be doing; teaching us.

I don’t really want to name and shame, but it thinks it’s a common opinion coming from students. I’ve noticed some teachers just hand us text books, for us to copy out and answer questions in Maths for example, or in other lessons such as Chemistry, the substitute teacher teaches us nothing, instead making us copy out of text books and off PowerPoints.

Maths, for me, is the worst. It’s not exactly my strong suit, and the fact our teacher doesn’t show us how to do half the calculations and workings out in the first place really does not help. If we’re lucky, we’re shown the basics, but then expected to know the A/A* stuff already? I think that’s kind of missing the point of teachers teaching and students learning. The clue is in the job title.

It really annoys me though; teachers get paid to help us learn things, and some just aren’t doing that. Instead, they let the books do it for them, so they can sit at their desk and drink coffee. When it comes to maths, I definitely need someone to tell me how to do the workings out; in some subjects its more logic based and I can get there eventually, but usually in maths, I’m rendered very stuck indeed without help.

I understand teachers can’t stand up at the front for hours on end, lecturing students on their various subject area, but they shouldn’t just give us PowerPoints and books all the time either, right?

I know teaching isn’t the easiest job in the world, and I am aware not all students are very cooperative and well behaved at the best of times, (believe me, I’m fed up of half of my year) but I think, considering it’s what they’re trained to do, some teachers should up their game and get themselves sorted because it’s beyond a joke now.

It may have been alright at the start of the year when we didn’t really have to do that much work and we could just go at our own pace or whatever, but now, our GCSE’s are just around the corner and we really need to know this stuff. It’s not acceptable for these teachers to just sit on their laptops for an hour whilst we practically teach ourselves. This is our education and it sets us up for life. If teachers make a mess of it now, there’s not a lot we can do about it.

I think this is pretty serious and really unacceptable. I hope I’m not the only one who has noticed this, or is even bothered about it, but I think something definitely needs to be done about these teachers. Just what, I don’t know.

No comments:

Post a Comment