Wednesday 21 November 2012

The Pains of Being Tall

Being tall hurts quite a bit most of the time, be it growing pains or walking into things. 

Because I grew 20 centimeters in 2 years, I've had a lot of adjusting to do, and it hasn't worked as well as I hoped. Everyday, I drop things, walk into things, trip over things and hit my head on things simply because I can't control my limbs. It's great... and I get bruises to show for it!

I think I have stopped growing now, or I've at least slowed down hopefully. My bones grew a lot very quickly, and my muscles and ligaments, which don't grow as fast, couldn't keep up. It happened in my feet first, and then the rest of my body, my legs particularly. Due to my bones being longer than the muscles,  my muscles are pretty much at full stretch when another, more normal person is relaxing. This has a pretty painful effect on my joints when I do stretch, as the ligaments and muscles are pulling on the joints. This whole issue causes a kind of achy pain and I've noticed it the most in my hips, and my left one clicks a lot, rather loudly. My mother gets worried when I stand up and it sounds like I've dislocated something. I'm probably not that far off it actually.
More recently, my shoulders have been hurting, but I'm not convinced it's for the same reason. Perhaps they felt left out and wanted to be painful too? 

The growing has other effects too. Like I said before, I am pretty clumsy. I think I've always been pretty clumsy; I once landed myself in hospital after I got bouncing putty in my eye. This was when I was a lot smaller, you understand. Aside from the putty incident, fortunately I have managed to avoid hospital. I've never broken a bone, but it's probably only a matter of time.
I do get rather a lot of bruises, however, some of the more recent examples being a bruise on my ribs from dropping my phone on myself, and one on my collar bone after walking into a door. I also tend to have a bad habit of tripping over... well, nothing. I'll just start falling.

I realize this article is rather whiny, but it's true, and I think a lot of people don't see how annoying it is to be tall. Unless you like walking into walls.