Saturday 24 November 2012

The Power of Music


Music is a huge part of my life. Writing this article, I’m listening to Ed Sheeran. When I go to bed, I often listen to acoustic tracks through earphones, waking up to Little Things by 1D, my ‘sleepy’ playlist on repeat. When I get ready for school, I put Radio 1 on, and when I come from home, I do the same thing.

I think there are 2 main reasons I love music so much.

The first reason being it fills up the silence. I find doing homework whilst listening to the Greg James’s show helps. I feel more relaxed and comfortable with the background music. Doing homework to silence is boring, and I find myself drifting. It doesn’t make much sense; you’d think the radio would distract me, but usually, it has the opposite effect.

I think the other reason is there’s always something to suit my mood. Whether I want to jump around to One Direction, or relax to Mumford and Sons.  Sometimes I even find myself going all gangster style and rapping along to Jay-Z and Kanye or Wiley. This is probably the reason I have a fairly broad taste in music – I like different aspects of different music. 

Without the music on my phone, or the radio in my bedroom, my life style would probably be pretty different; without music, I would be very short on things to do with my spare time.

As I’ve become older, I’ve grown to see past the music, listening to the lyrics. When I was little, I wouldn’t bother about the meaning of the song; if I liked the sound, that’s all that mattered to me. But now, Ed Sheeran’s songs give me things to think about, One Direction’s lyrics relate to me, even though they’re not singing to me or about me, as much as I wish they were.

Unfortunately, different types of music are given different stereotypes, labelling the listeners as emos, Goths, moshers or stupid fan girls, that ‘don’t know what real music is’. I think this is such a shame, as those people who do only listen to certain kinds of music really don’t deserve these negative connotations. Music can save people’s lives, and that should not be ignored. I fail to see why someone should be discouraged from being supportive and passionate about something that has changed their lives.