Thursday 24 January 2013

“Fixed Appliances”


When I was originally told I would need braces, I wasn’t too bothered. I just wanted to get them over and done with, preferably rather quickly.

2 years later, I have metal glued to my teeth.

Going into the orthodontists practice, I didn’t really know what to expect. I mean, I had an idea, but I didn’t know how much of it was true; I’d heard some pretty awful ‘horror stories’ about the whole ordeal, and others saying they weren’t too fussed about it.

On the first appointment, I was not expecting to have some sort of photo-shoot, although I knew about the moulds and x-rays, which weren’t particularly enjoyable either.

Upon the 2nd appointment, I was told I was to have two teeth out; 1 on either side on the upper row. I hadn’t had teeth out before, so once again, I didn’t know what to expect. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, although on the second time, the dentist had to wiggle more, leaving a bigger hole from the root of the tooth. It wasn’t particularly painful, just uncomfortable and awkward, and pretty grim to eat on.

But I made a miraculous recovery (hooray), just in time to get my top brace on. Not much of a reward, if I’m honest. Although, as I said before, I didn’t know what to expect, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. The worst bit was probably the fact the orthodontist put all the tools together over my head, right in front of my face; not the most tactical approach.

When he was finished, he handed me a mirror to have a look at my new brace. I groaned. Rather loudly. This made him laugh, which didn’t make me feel much better. He sent me off with some dental wax, a rather depressing leaflet and a card for the next appointment.

Now, a few days after having my brace on, I’m starting to get used to the feeling of metal under my lip. There are some sharp, spikey parts which can be sorted with a little dental wax, and my gums ache a lot, but overall, it’s better than I expected it to be pain and discomfort wise. I am, however, not so happy with the look of the braces. I always knew they weren’t exactly going to be pretty, but now dreams (or nightmares) have become reality and I’m not enjoying it. I just hope other people aren’t as aware of them as I am.

I keep trying to think about the positives of this whole experience, like the ‘Hollywood Smile’ I’ll have at the end when the braces are off, or how they give me an excuse to force my mum to buy plenty of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream. I keep trying to convince myself that time will fly and before I know it, my teeth will be straight and the braces can come off. I think I’d better keep wishing on that one though.

Another good thing is the amount of experienced friends I have; plenty. Most of my close friends either have a brace, or used to, and I think I’m annoying them with all my questions about do’s and don’ts, and general advice.

Hopefully it will all blow over soon, and I won’t be able to remember not having a brace, just this weird achy tension.