Thursday 3 January 2013

Spending and Saving


We always have to save a little and spend a little, but some people have trouble balancing the two, especially with rising prices for the basic day to day necessities.

I think we find this out at a very early age, be it from observing parents, or managing pocket money. As we grow older, we have to pay for more things, some elementary, such as bills or food, and some more secondary, like gifts and technology.

I asked my Grandma if she had anything to say about budgeting and spending as a retired person in today’s economy. She responded with a very balanced, thought-through answer, saying “There is no typical teenager and in the same way, there is no typical pensioner” before continuing on to say “Fortunately for me, I get other pension money, both from my work and Granddad's work, to add to my Government pension and that allows me to be comfortably off as long as there are no big emergencies.”
“In terms of budgeting, most of the work had been done when we were younger:-
 We both had jobs where we didn't get some of our salary and it went instead into saving for a pension so that when we stopped working we carried on getting a (smaller but adequate) sum from our previous employers.
So far, my pensions have kept on coming, so I have been luckier than some people who paid in just as I did, but whose pension providers went broke and so they lost what they had saved. Other unlucky things have been, for example, houses washed away in floods.”

Grandma also talked about how being comfortable financially often comes down to luck; if your life is riddled with expensive accidents and damage costs, it’s going to be harder to be well-off than someone who is careful and avoids damaging weather etc.

As a teenager, I don’t have to keep up with electricity bills or how much the latest trip to ASDA costs, like my parents do. Although my ‘needs’ (for want of a better word) are not important and may be considered shallow, they do still exist.

Some teenagers do earn a small amount of money and a typical, hypothetical teenager may worry about whether they’ll be able to afford an album or some new jeans, concerned about whether their allowance or wages will cover this. So even from a fairly early age, we’re learning about what works when it comes to spending and saving; which costs are priorities, which ones come second, and how to manage everything.

I think it is getting harder to keep up with costs, as prices are rising all the time, money becoming thinner. In some ways it’s a learning curve, but not everyone can keep pace with the escalating expenditures.