Sunday 30 December 2012

Standards


Standard; noun; 1 - level of quality; 2 - moral principle


The word ‘standard’ can mean different things to different people, which is why I put the two major definitions above.

I have noticed that people’s moral standards vary depending on their background and their upbringing. Both my parents are quite prudish, and the same goes with the rest of my family. I have previously addressed the fact that I have strong morals, most of which come from how I was raised. But, as I have progressed through school, I have witnessed many different types of behaviour. The majority of my friends are like me; usually polite and well behaved, following the rules. Personally, I think life is easier when you follow the rules and are a more pleasant human being; people will like you more and be more willing to help you if you get stuck.
But some people do, of course, set lower standards for themselves, enthused by their background and family. Making trouble for teachers (people who try to help them) and those around them, falling into bad habits and ignoring rules.

And I think this is a real shame; just because they haven’t been given the best start at life, doesn’t mean they can’t improve their standards, their quality of work, even quality of life. If they could up their moral standards and the quality of the work they produce in school, I am 100% sure they would notice a few differences in their life. Low moral standards often result in your peers having low respect for you and your actions. Girls who sleep around with anyone and are undoubtedly going to be looked down on, instead of being viewed as a role model.

If more people in my year would just buckle down and work, actually putting some effort into the set tasks, rather than messing the teachers about and disrupting lessons, they would like school more too. You get out what you put in, right? By working harder and not bugging the teachers, perhaps they’ll find the time they spend in school more enjoyable, or pleasant. Teachers will praise them, not shout at them.
I don’t understand how people don’t see this simple logic. We are incredibly privileged to have free education in the UK, and I often find myself wishing the troublemaker could be swapped with a child from a third world country, with no education but desperately hoping for one.

I know I am lucky coming from the background I do, but I don’t always feel it. However, sitting here, writing this article makes realise just how blessed I am to have the family I do, coupled with opportunities and options that so many people don’t have, while thousands of British school kids just throw it away.


This kind of went off topic but never mind.