Thursday 21 February 2013

Brit Awards


After last year’s show, I wasn’t sure whether to bother watching the awards or not. I never really watch award shows like this, but I thought I would make an exception; it’s all everyone talks about for ages afterwards, and One Direction were up for an award too.

I wasn’t too keen on watching in the first place as last year everyone was ready to fall over they were so drunk. I got fed up with all the bumbling and mumbling, with the odd ridiculous outburst. I couldn’t believe how much alcohol was on each table; a huge bucket with ice in in the middle of each table, filled to the brim with all kinds of drinks.

This year was the same I suppose, but they covered up well. There was still the excessive amount of drink on the table, although the people who needed to be on stage at some point did seem to be sober enough.
I think the show itself was really good; there were plenty of excellent performances, including 1D’s first live performance of their Comic Relief single (which I was thoroughly impressed with, by the way). James Corden cracked a few jokes as he introduced each category, or performer, and I think the graphics on the background screen were pretty good. In Robbie William’s performance, everyone blended in to the optical illusion.

However, it did seem to be ‘Pick on Harry Styles Day’. The Brits would not be the Brits without some form of scandal the newspapers can write about. (I suppose I’m joining in there, then.) Every time Taylor Swift, Harry’s most recent ex-girlfriend, appeared on stage, the camera instantly switched to Harry, trying to televise his reaction. Harry is of course used to this kind of attention, and ignored the cameras, but it still annoyed me, and a lot of other fans.

But, scandal aside, I do think it was a good show. No one fell over (or on camera at least) and it was kept fairly clean. I think it’s good to have the awards for the bands and artists, just like the actors and directors do. Although there aren’t as many categories as there are at the Grammy’s and everything, every artist has a category to come under, giving everyone a chance.