Thursday 14 February 2013

Valentine's Day


Today is, of course, Valentine’s Day. I don’t really know where I stand on Valentine’s Day; do I carry on as normal, ignoring all the happy couples? Or do I spend the day being the Grinch of Valentine’s Day?

I decided I would have a ‘me’ day today; treat myself to a few things I wouldn’t normally indulge in, or don’t normally have the time for. So I suppose I’m carrying on with my average day, but spending a little more time on myself than usual.

But really, to be honest, I don’t see the point of Valentine’s. I’m not saying this because I have to go it alone each year. I really think Valentine’s Day is a pretty rubbish holiday; surely, you should show your love for your partner all year round, not just on a specific day in February? I know most people can’t afford to lavish their loved one every day, but gifting one another is not what Valentine’s day is about; it’s about spending time with them, taking a day out of your normal routine to enjoy the day with your loved one, not about buying flowers and chocolates and cards. Well, I think so anyway.

I mean, it’s nice to go that little further and buy lovely gifts for your other half, but I think a lot of people see Valentine’s Day as the designated day to express their love, and I think this is wrong. You should express your love every day, not just through gifts but something as simple as a hug or a smile.

This is why I feel Valentine’s Day is a little pointless… it’s a lovely idea and a lot of people enjoy spending their time with their loved ones, but the fact people only bother to express their feelings, their love, on this particular day worries me.

I know people can be very busy, and are unable to spend time with their partner, but surely they could quickly call them, or even just text them?

Maybe part of me is writing this out of spite, but also the logical part of me. If there is one.