Monday 4 February 2013

Poetry Live


Like with many things, I didn’t really know what to expect as I was walking into the Bridgewater Hall. It could go two ways; be really dull and boring, I would be struggling to stay awake and people would be messing around, causing mayhem. Or, I would be engaged and interested, filling pages and pages with useful note as my classmates did the same, asking mind blowing questions. I think the day fell into a happy medium.
 
The trip down to Manchester was pretty good; the coach was fairly quiet and pretty comfortable, although as we neared the city I found myself being cooked on the spot by the radiator next to me. The venue itself  was fantastic, a modern reception, with clean carpets (always important) and the hall was amazing; a huge organ down at one end with rather a lot of pipes, with the stage set in front. Surrounding the stage were a few seats, but the majority of the seating was in front of the stage, with 3 or 4 tiers surrounding the floor seats. We were on the 3rd tier, to the side. The view would have been better had there not been barriers directly blocking my line of sight. There wasn’t much leg room either. But what was more important was the acoustics, (which were pretty good), as the event was based around listening, and all you really needed to see was the leaflet, handed to us upon entry.

The stage from our point of view.

The first two poets on stage were Gillian Clarke and Carol Anne Duffy, both of whom read poems featured in our GCSE Anthology’s.

I have to say, when Carol Anne Duffy started with Hour, after giving a brief explanation of her ideas and inspiration, I was a little disappointed. Her voice was toneless and dull, making her sound bored and uninterested. It was definitely not how I expected her to read her own poem. She read Quickdraw too, and it was the same again; she was almost lifeless on the stage. I don’t know whether it was deliberate or due to nerves or what, but it didn’t sound great. The poems were fantastic, and as we have ‘exploded’ them in class, I understood them better than other people may have done. I would have thought this would give me an advantage over the other students who hadn’t studied the poems before, but the performances really didn’t deliver. I, unfortunately, found the same thing with Gillian Clarke, although she had better rhythm when reading her poems, and sounded at least a little interested in her poem.

Simon Armitage was on next, and I have to say I enjoyed him and his performance considerably more than the opening poets. He was rather sarcastic which, I think, drew me to him a little bit. His poems and the philosophies and inspiration behind them were rather sentimental and personal, I found. He used designs close, or personal to him, and made it obvious, which I liked. At the same time, he was also rather humorous and casual, like he was engaging in a conversation with his audience, rather than talking at them. When he was reading, he still sounded a little bored and dull, but overall, I rather liked him. Imtiaz Dharker, the fourth poet, carried on with the dull tone, although her voice was different too; she spoke slowly and steadily, patiently, and when she was reading, her voice was kind of haunting, subtly lingering on words, on sentences. I think she surprised us all with her final poem - she shared a semi-Indian poem (I think), which she described as a happy poem. She was much more animated when reading this poem, adding interest to her routine, and a little humour too, I suppose. Andrew Forster made an appearance too, although I haven’t made any notes on him; I didn’t really find anything noteworthy about him, if I’m brutally honest. He followed through with the leaden tones, and his performance was not particularly impressive.

Tony Childs, the examiner, had some useful input, however. He read the ‘Unseen poem’ through twice, and helped us understand it more by reading through the 3 responses in the leaflet too.  He was open and honest, and although it wasn’t a performance and more of an interlude, I enjoyed it and found it useful, something to remember when I’m sat in my future exams and controlled assessments. The final presentation of the occasion was by far my favourite. John Agard, ‘interesting, quirky, engaging, funny, loud, passionate and animated’ is the list of words I jotted down whilst watching this man. And he certainly was all of those; he moved away from the podium a little from time to time, and jumped up and down during one feature, something which none of the other poets did. Although he didn’t make complete sense 100% of the time, he was the most enjoyable to watch and to listen to, and he carried something about him that just livened the day up marginally. He finished with a small address on the use and importance of language, and one line stood out to me particularly: ‘you cannot escape language’. I don’t know why I found this so striking… perhaps it was the truth behind it?

Overall, the day was rather enjoyable, with the definite highlight of Mr Agard at the end of the day. He parted with the line ‘happy life to you’, which put a smile on my face. He was such a happy little man, and that made me happy.

Hannah and Chloe enjoying themselves.