Tuesday 12 February 2013

Encouragement

For a lot of people, encouragement is rare and praise for achievements is also atypical. I wanted to write this as a sort of continuation from my piece on achievements; they don't happen without some form of encouragement. Olympians have their coaches, their friends, their families, their colleagues. But some people, youths especially, are deprived of this vital encouragement. I think a huge part of encouragement is help; it's not just getting people to do something, it's helping them do it.

This, I think, is a real shame; if we aren't supported now, how many of us are going to want to try new, different things, knowing there's no one behind us, to support and help us? I'm not saying I'm not encouraged, because I am, and I am very grateful for that. But I think there is such a thing as too much encouragement. I know this is rather contradictory to what I have just said, but it's true. It gets to the point where you're forcing someone to do something, rather than help them. Now this has happened to me. Although, not on illegal scales of course. 

As teenagers, we look to our parents to help us as we grow up. It is down to them to get it right; knowing when to back off, but also knowing when we need that support behind us to get us on our way. That's one of a parents key 'jobs', right? I really appreciate how my mum will help me with my homework, maths especially, and then let me do it in my own time once I'm comfortable with the task. My dad, on the other hand, is more pushy, I suppose. So I've learned not to ask him for help as much; for example, when he knows about any homework I have, he nags and nags at me for weeks, long after I've handed it in. And any advice he does have to offer is usually pretty rubbish. 

Anyway, my point is, my mum usually gets it right and dad doesn't. Mum helps me out, and then encourages me to do it when I back away from the dreaded maths. I think if more parents, or just adults in general, are willing to help support teenagers, rather than force them, or push them away, we might get more done, and quicker too.

I just feel as though some receive too little, and some receive too much.