Monday 18 February 2013

Charity


I am a big fan of One Direction, and recently, they’ve been all about Comic Relief. They’ve recorded a cover of Blondie’s ‘One Way or Another’ as a charity single; the proceeds go towards Comic Relief and its help in third world countries.

The boys have been out to Ghana recently, to experience what the people on the receiving end of these charities are going through first hand. I watched a video of them all in one of the hospitals, where they were visiting the infants in a hospital, ill because they missed out on a lifesaving vaccine because of their disadvantages.  One member, Zayn, was really affected by what he had seen out in Ghana, and ended up in tears as he tried to tell the camera how much the £5 vaccine could do. He’s since donated £500,000, which is enough for 100,000 vaccines. 100,000 lives.

I’ve never really donated before, but I did today. I paid £5 for one vaccine via text, because someone else needs that £5 more than me. A lot more.

I know it may seem that I’m only donating because my favourite boy band is donating too, and I suppose that’s part of it; he gave money because he was effected, and I gave money because I was too. Seeing how hard the illness in Ghana struck the boys, and how devastated and frustrated they were, combined with of course, the tiny children, sick and dying, left me unable to not contribute to this cause.

Those children could easily have been running around, playing football, or toddling about all over the place, had they not missed out on that vaccination. And knowing that I, sat at my laptop, could help a child to do that was compelling me to donate. So I did. And I feel really good about it.

I’ve always been aware of Children in Need and Sport Relief and Comic Relief, but I’ve never been as affected by these charities as I have today. I don’t know whether it was because people who I care about were upset, or whether it’s because I’ve matured since last year’s Comic Relief. Or both. But it really hit home how lucky I am to have these vaccinations, along with so much more advanced medical care, should I need it, and how those month old babies have none of that.

I may seem naïve and obnoxious for donating because a band told me to, but it’s more than that. They were a spring board, I suppose, but I didn’t donate to please them or because they’ve told all their fans to.
 I donated my £5 because I saw, through that video, how much it can help, and how much it can mean to a little child, who’s really no different to me.

We just have different backgrounds, and that shouldn’t be a barrier to keep them from the healthcare everyone deserves.

(I wrote this quite late Sunday night so it probably doesn't make much sense)