Saturday 16 November 2013

An Inspector Calls


I wanted to write this review, because An Inspector Calls has really made me think about many different things, which are all interlinked with one another. The play has made me think about its themes, in essence; responsibility in particular, and morality. Some people are much more willing to take responsibility for their actions than others, who’ll do anything to shift the negative attention off them. Mr Birling kind of reminds me of a naughty school boy, who knows he’s done something wrong but is determined not to take the blame, even frame someone else if possible. ‘He did it, miss!’

Sheila, however, is the complete opposite. She’s much more self-aware, as well as being mindful of those around her. She clues on to the Inspector pretty quickly, realising that he already knows everything he needs to know. In this respect, she’s probably the most favourable of all the Birling’s, in my opinion. She still did something wrong, but she recognises this, unlike her elders.

Mrs Birling is one of the most despicable characters, I think, because of her lack of humanity, basically. Turning down a pregnant Eva, who’s at her lowest point in the plot, with no sense of remorse? Would Sybil have done the same if she’d known the child was Eric’s? Probably not.

Eric and Gerald both committed crimes of a similar nature, although they had rather different outcomes. Gerald led Eva on, knowing full well she had nowhere to go to as he knew the majority of her story, then proceeded to leave her. Part of me thinks he’s only sorry because he got caught by his ex-fiancĂ©e, not because he did it. Eric, however, came to Eva at the end of a drunken night, and met up a few times after this, giving her money that wasn’t his, ultimately driving Eva to Mrs Birling.

I think the story is very well planned out and written, and teaches the audience a valuable lesson. Whilst reading the play, I couldn’t help but think ‘How can 5 people all be involved with one individual, all at the same time, more or less?’ It seemed very unlikely, even for a fictional text. So when Gerald comes back in to save the day, and the Birling’s and Gerald collectively disprove the Inspectors case against them, uncovering the fact he wasn’t an Inspector at all, I was like ‘I knew it! I knew it all along!’

So when the phone rang, rather ominously, I experienced a ‘pride before a fall’ moment, just like we had discussed in class, concerning Mr Birling. The story came full circle, with two rather unexpected twists in quick succession. I find it fascinating that the case against the Birling’s involvement with Eva could be either completely false, or completely true.


An Inspector Calls does teach us a rather important life lesson, and it could be interpreted in many different ways. I think that J. B. Priestly is trying to teach the audience to beware of how even your most minor actions can affect those around you.



No comments:

Post a Comment