Wednesday 6 November 2013

Choices

Today, at school, we had a ‘What To Expect Next’ morning, where we rotated round the Project Room, the library, the New Hall and Rooms 13/14. Each room had a different aspect of being in the Sixth Form, and most of it was really awkward, talking to sixth formers who perhaps didn’t really want to be there.

Some were more helpful than others, telling us what some of the most important traits are in a sixth former; things like being passionate and organised, and self-disciplined. I’ve never really seriously thought about what Sixth Form might be like, but I have a much better idea now.

At the end of the morning, after some cake and tea, we were given the Sixth Form prospectuses and a time table for the list of talks being given about all the different subjects you can do at A Level. The English talk was scheduled today as well, so I toddled along to that, as I’m pretty set on doing Literature for A Level. Now that I know more about what the Lit course involves, as well as the Language course, I’m sure it’s the right one for me.

But today has really made me think, especially after seeing the entry requirements for all the subjects across the board; pretty much all of them require a bare minimum of a Grade B in that subject at GCSE as well as English Language, despite needing 5 A*-C’s to get into the actual Sixth Form.

With these mocks coming up, it’s made me realise I really need to up my game now if I want to get the results I want come Results Day next year. I just struggle to find motivation to revise and put in the effort, but hopefully this will spur me on a little. I don’t really know what else will.

I feel as though we’re given a billion decisions and choices to make, with little to no idea what the outcome will be, at a very early age. I haven’t even sat a single GCSE exam yet, and I’m being made to decide what A Levels I want to do? I know it’s a long process but it’s kind of like ‘seriousness overload’ for me. I already had mock exams to worry about and the summer exams and now massive A Level decisions to worry about. And I’m good at worrying, believe me.

I realise this is something every student has to go through but when there’s so many things going on at one moment in time, it’s hard to prioritise things and make the right decisions and I guess I wish everthing would slow down a little. I thought this Sixth Form morning was just to to tell us a bit more about the facilities and the topics you cover and what is expected of you etc etc etc. So when we were handed prospectuses and application forms with the deadline at the end of this month, it was a ‘hang on a second’ moment.



I think I’m just panicking. And splurging.

1 comment: