Tuesday 26 November 2013

One Direction: Midnight Memories Review (sort of)

The long awaited 3rd album from One Direction was released on Monday, and I think it’s safe to say it’s gone down a storm. The entire album was leaked a week or so before its release, but I stuck to my motto of ‘delayed gratification' and waited until the 25th to listen to the songs. It's quite literally like Christmas come a month early for me, and I was not disappointed in the least. I know that may sound biased, but the album on a whole is a very strong record with a large variety of tracks and lyrics. There’s a common theme of catchy riffs and choruses, but all 18 tracks each bring something special Midnight Memories.

Considering the majority of the songs were recorded whilst on a world tour, they’ve done a pretty good job of it. The boys have also done a lot more writing for the album, with some help from McFly and songwriters from their previous albums.

The first track is Best Song Ever, which was also the first single to come from the LP, followed by Story of My Life, the second single. The two tunes are basically the inverse of each other, but both are equally as good, and memorable. I think my personal favorite song is Happily, closely followed by Don’t Forget Where You Belong. Strong and You and I are other popular ones, but there definitely isn’t a weaker song. Like I said before, they each bring something different to the album as a whole, and the end result is pretty darn good.

One Direction have definitely done a lot of growing up since the X Factor in 2010, and this album is solid proof of that. There is a stark contrast between their first album and this one. The boys themselves described it as much grungier, and I think I agree with them. Some songs are pretty rocky, with heavy electric guitar and drums, and others are little more than an acoustic guitar accompanying the vocals. Some songs are about heartbreak, and others are about… well, Midnight Memories. What can you say; they’re boys.

All of the tracks have got me singing along to the chorus after only 1 or 2 listens, and they definitely stick in your head. I’ve even taken up a few lines as mantras for this week of mock exams, and I’ve received a few pissed off glares from my ‘neighbours’, tapping out the drums on the exam desk. Oops.

The lyrics aren’t complicated and you don’t have to be smart to understand them, like some other artists’ lyrics, but they’re good fun, and they’re relatable and if I carry on I’ll sound like I’m plugging their album. Which I’m not. I just really like it, genuinely, honestly and seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment