Saturday 23 November 2013

Catching Fire Review

Ever since seeing the first film, I have been patiently waiting for Catching Fire to be released. Many people think sequels are never as good as the original film, as the sequel is often a disappointment. Catching Fire was the polar opposite of a disappointment. The second film was definitely as good as The Hunger Games, if not better. The plot was true to the book, which I always like to see in films like this, especially when they quote verbatim from the book. There’s one scene near the beginning where Katniss wakes Haymitch up by pouring water over his head, and the following dialogue is literally copied out of the book. Suzanna Collins, the author of the trilogy, had some input in the writing of both the films, but they each had a different director. Catching Fire was directed by Francis Lawrence, who is also directing the final two films. I googled him, and the only other titles I recognised was Water For Elephants and a Britney Spears music video.

Despite his genre inconsistency, I thought he did a really good job of Catching Fire. There were a lot of close up, personal shots, contrasted with big sweeping panoramas of District 12 and the arena itself. There were also a few shots I’ve never seen in a film before; Caesar Flickerman, a TV presenter within the film, was talking into the camera, as though you were watching his TV programme, rather than a film. Some of the other characters did it too, whilst Caesar was interviewing them, which was a bit disconcerting. It’s rather odd having characters in a fictional story talking directly to you rather than to each other. Whilst on Caesars show, one of the Tributes swore during her interview, which was bleeped out. Going with the TV element again, it was something I’ve never seen done before in a film; they never dub the words out, as they’re part of the script. It was interesting, to say the least.

I’ve always thought the soundtrack for films is super important, as the music can make or break the film.  The underscore throughout Catching Fire works really effectively. In the poison fog scene, as Katniss first notices it, it’s deadly silent, adding to the ghostliness and eeriness of it. Then, in pretty much all the running away scenes, there’s an explosion of drums and tension, giving the audience a real sense of the atmosphere at every moment in the film. I particularly like the drums whilst the Tributes are in their chariots, riding down to the President’s Circle. It’s hard to explain if you haven’t seen the film, which I thoroughly recommend you do.

There are also plenty of tear-jerking moments that made my vision blur. Some of them I knew were going to pull at my heart, having read the books, but I cried at Effie. Twice. That was unexpected. Prim, Katniss’s sister, screaming after her when Katniss is taken to the games once again, made my heart break, and Katniss stepping in front of the whip for Gale, then Peeta doing the same for Katniss was heart wrenching too.  It’s a very emotional film, and brilliantly put together, although the books are written with amazing skill, so Francis Lawrence had a bit of a head start.


I did feel like the ending was a little rushed, and not explained as well as it is in the book, or acted as well either, but the rest of the film was so full on and fast paced, there was bound to be a little grey area somewhere. Catching Fire was definitely one of the best films I’ve seen in a long while, and the Blu-Ray shall be being purchased.


I found a clip of the drums I was talking about here

No comments:

Post a Comment