Sunday 16 December 2012

Kennels Update


I am keeping a small diary for my volunteering, so I can keep track of how often I go. In the back of my little book, however, I have written a short paragraph about each of the dogs I have walked. So far, I have worked with 11 dogs, all of them very different to the other. Many have gone home, I am glad to say, and while I miss them a lot, I am happy they have gone either back home, or to someone who will love and care for them, like they really deserve.

I really love the variety between the dogs; some are really energetic and whizz round everywhere, others are more laid back and relaxed, plodding along at their own pace. With one dog in particular, I have noticed a massive improvement; I cannot put into words how his behaviour has improved since he first arrived at the kennels. Whenever I go to put the lead round his neck, he sits very still, patiently waiting, his tail wagging excitedly. Then, he’ll stay by my side, always checking to make sure I’m okay. He’s very ‘self-aware’, and still gets quite nervous when something takes him by surprise. If I ever stop, or sit down on the bench, he always snuggles up to me, resting his head on my lap, his gorgeous brown eyes warm and happy. It’s so heart-warming to see this, especially after his behaviour when he came in; very shy, cowering all the time. It really broke my heart to see him like that, as it would with any dog, but the contrast now is insane. I really enjoy walking him; he’s so sweet and calm.


I have learnt a lot from volunteering for the RSPCA; some ‘lessons’ more unexpected than others. Going into it, I didn’t really know what to expect. But now, after 2 months on the job, I couldn’t imagine it any different. I don’t know the staff all that well, as they’re always busy looking after the many dogs in the boarding kennels, but the owners are really lovely and understanding, always explaining any changes in the dogs or warning us about new ones.

I wish I could go more often, but with the winter really setting in, it makes it hard to go whilst still be safe; the field is full of lumps and bumps, and is often very muddy, and going in the dark after school isn’t great.
Overall, I’m really enjoying working with the dogs, and I hope the dogs, and staff, appreciate the time and effort my mum, my sister, my dad and myself put into the dogs. I like to think I’m making a positive impact on the dog’s life in the kennels, along with the rest of my family.

:)