Thursday 27 December 2012

Winter Food


I’m always told by my parents I should try to eat a more balanced and healthy diet and to do more exercise, accompanied by a lecture on how much I’ll appreciate it when I’m older.

It’s not as though I’m 25 stone and don’t do any exercise; I walk to school most mornings, and I always put a lot of effort into PE lessons. In the summer I often go to school’s after school athletics club, working at my 800m when I can. However, it is harder to do decent amounts of exercise in the winter though, choosing to stay home eating mince pies over going for a walk. But I’m definitely not the only one.

In the winter, it can be really hard to eat healthily and get your heart rate going for a lot of people. Because of Christmas and the holidays, it’s really easy, and much more preferable, to eat chocolate and snuggle up in bed, rather than going for early morning jogs and eating salad. That is not my idea of fun.

I know I eat too much rubbish, but at the moment, it doesn’t seem to be doing me any harm. I think it’s the combination of growing so much so quickly, having a seemingly high metabolic rate, doing enough exercise and eating enough of the good and healthy stuff.

I think so long as you are in control of your diet and how much you eat, you should be fine. It’s when you can’t control your chocolate cravings that you need to worry. 

A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.