Saturday 1 December 2012

The Leveson Inquiry


I don’t know all that much about the Leveson Inquiry, I’ll be honest, but I do know it’s pretty important in a lot of ways to lots of different people.

In History, we are studying World War 2, and from it I have learnt a lot about Communism and Capitalism; the UK is Capitalist, with a free vote and a range of poverty and wealth, and free press. But that could change, depending on the outcome of the Leveson Report; will we still have the free press? Or will it be regulated and controlled by the government?

I did try doing some research on the whole situation, but I really struggled finding what I wanted as there is so much to sift through; articles about celebrities who have been affected, victims who want justice, the media’s reaction and so on. But, based on the little knowledge I have, I think the Leveson Inquiry and its effects is generally a good thing.

Personally, I think the press being allowed to write anything and everything is wrong, but I also think it is a bad idea to largely confine the press, like with Communist countries. The fact that newspapers will be regulated and moderated in the UK will probably do a lot of good, raising the standards of journalism in Britain. Some newspapers need it more than others, however. The Sun and the Daily Mirror, tabloids that were criticised in the Report for releasing private and/or inaccurate information are an example of such papers; the new control should improve their ‘quality’ of journalism, with only correct, precise, and legal information published.

The Leveson Inquiry talks about how an independent regulatory body should be established, with the ability to sanction and investigate the newspapers and its sources. A ‘whistle blowing hotline’ may also be set up, for journalists to call who feel pressured to write about or do unethical things. This hotline is a great idea; journalists can report any wrong-doing easily, knowing the problem will be tackled.
Journalism will change for good, but hopefully with a positive outcome.



I found this article hard to write because I don’t know as much as I would like to, and I couldn’t find the information I needed/wanted to help me write it, so it probably doesn’t make much sense. I tried though.