Sunday 23 December 2012

Talents


In Year 5, I started to play the flute, going to school earlier than usual so I could have my lesson, within school, without missing out on class lessons. I carried on through Year 6, taking my Grade 2. In Year 7, when I moved to Kirkbie Kendal, I had a new teacher which was, at first, quite unsettling, especially as I had to leave my lessons in school to have my music lesson. In Year 8, I took my Grade 3, and stopped playing at the end of the school year.

Today, as I was feeling particular festive, I dug out some music books and my flute, hoping to play some Christmas songs and carols. I have played on occasion since Year 8, but only for short bursts, or one offs, nothing more. But today, I looked at the music and thought ‘how on earth do I play that?’ I was completely blank, and this worried me. I had played the tunes many a time before, and had no problem once I had learnt the tune and keys. But now, after 2 years, I had nothing.

Once I had checked which note was which, I was alright, and played through my favourite Christmas songs, testing them out. Stop the Cavalry by Jona Lewie is always fun to play on the flute.
But this made me think; how many people stop working at a talent or a hobby, and forget all their skills after a few years? I managed to remember the notes and ‘finger placing’, but not easily, and it was a while before I was once again comfortable with playing the tunes.

I can imagine a lot of people discontinue playing instruments, for any number of reasons, and when or if they come back to play it again, can’t remember how to do so. Will this encourage people to try at it, or put them off?

I think if people are put off by their memory loss, it could have recurring effects; they may not want to pick up another hobby or interest, for fear they’ll forget everything they learn after a period of time.

So, what I’m trying to say is, people should keep trying at things, even if they’ve completely forgotten everything they already learn; surely, relearning something is going to be easier than learning it the first time?

I will keep getting my flute out every now and then, to ensure I don’t forget absolutely everything. Knowing me, I’ll forget everything anyway.