Thursday 20 December 2012

'Tis the Season To Be Jolly...


Everyone has a favourite part of the Christmas season; some like the presents, some enjoy the idea of giving to others. A lot of families see it as an opportunity to get together, happy to see relatives they perhaps haven’t seen for a while. Personally, I think the best part of the festive season it the excellent food; there’s always plenty of mince pies and Stollen in the Grove household, with the highlight on Christmas day itself; the wonderful roast dinner!

Lauren Hine, aged 15, thinks the best part of Christmas is “everyone getting together and the food!” I think this is why Christmas and the holidays are so popular; as I mentioned before, Christmas is an opportunity for families, big or small, to come together and celebrate for a short period of time, with a happy, cheerful atmosphere surrounding them.

Megan Hine, aged 15, says “Well, I think the best part of Christmas (apart from the food) is the time you get to spend with your family and not having to worry about anything and being able to have a really good time”. This is another good point; it’s like all your worries melt away like snow in the sunshine. I think this, for a lot of people, makes the festive period a lot more enjoyable and relaxing, as you have time to take it easy and eat chocolate.

“I like shopping for presents for my family and friends, and finding something that I know they'll really like and getting excited to give them it” says Arran Wylde. I think this is a sort of subconscious part; the present buying often gets people in the mood for Christmas, knowing it’s just around the corner.
I think it’s different for everyone; younger people will look forward to the presents while teenagers enjoy the chance to lie in over the holidays. Adults probably appreciate the time off work, and the chance to see family and friends, along with spending time with their immediate family too.

Everyone has a favourite part of Christmas; I think it’s impossible not to!