Thursday 13 December 2012

My Generation


Most teenagers these days go through a wild streak, some lasting longer than others. Some never get to that point, preferring to behave and study hard and get the grades they need and want. I think I fall into this category, although I think a lot of this comes from my parents; they make sure I’m getting the work done, and always there to help me when I get stuck. Because of my upbringing, I have a lot of strong morals that a lot of people my age wouldn’t even dream of. Unfortunately, there are a worryingly large portion of adolescents who run wild, both in and out of school.

When I encounter such people, I feel two things; pity and fear.

I feel sorry for them because quite often these teens are very misunderstood and usually have underlying problems causing them to be rude and reckless. Also, the decisions they make now may well be regretted in later life when it comes to getting a job. I would say university too, but I get the feeling they’re not particularly bothered about further education. 

Despite many fair laws, a lot of teenagers choose to ignore them, drinking underage, experimenting with drugs and of course, under age sex, which unfortunately often leads to unwanted pregnancy. Humans have been drinking alcohol for centuries, but now laws have been put in place after it has been discovered alcohol can be harmful, especially for younger people. Drugs are obviously dangerous for everyone, with all drugs and their respective laws in place for everyone, along with tobacco and household painkillers. Then with sex, it’s illegal if you’re under the age of 16.

So many people I know ignore all these laws, which I think are fair and just. They’re there for a reason, not just because the government wants to ruin the fun.

It wasn’t that long ago that most people saved themselves for marriage, waiting to be happily married before starting a family. Now, this is all but forgotten, with ‘casual sex’ on the up rise. TV shows like ‘Teen Mom’ and ’Underage and Pregnant’ highlight this, documenting teens who have fallen pregnant at a young age. It could be argued that alcohol and drugs are largely responsible, turning this whole issue into a big, crude circle; teens get drunk and high, and end up with an unwanted baby and lots of regrets.

It’s harsh, but it’s true. And this is why I think it’s such a big problem; older generations tend to overlook it, pretend it doesn’t happen and carry on as normal, not wanting to face the ‘ugly truth’. The government do try to lower the figures, with free contraception available to youths as young as 13, despite the age 16 limit. Why hand it out to 13 year olds? Because they know it happens, despite the rules and regulations.

All this could have serious effects on our future; if teenagers are more bothered about drink and drugs than getting a good education, are they going to be able to get jobs when it comes to it? Or are there going to be even more tax problems in order to give ‘benefits’ to those who can’t get a job? Are there going to be thousands of babies born that no one really wants? I think these are possibilities that need to be considered, especially if this behaviour we see in many of today’s teens continues to worsen, developing through many generations to come.

It’s not going to stop overnight, but there is definitely more people could be doing; teenagers could be more responsible with their actions, thinking about the repercussions and effects their choices could have later on. But adults, parents, teachers and MP’s could help as well; making sure teenagers are not consuming alcohol or drugs, and encouraging them to be responsible.

I am thankful my parents have drilled many morals into my mind, and I think other families should do the same thing.

Laws are in place for a reason, and too many people forget this.