Sunday 17 March 2013

One Direction: The Experience


(Please feel free to skip this article; this is mostly for me to look back on, but I thought I would upload it anyway.)

Put it this way: 16th March 2013 is a day I will always remember. I waited over a year for Saturday, and the train down to Manchester was euphoric; I was finally the boys who I’ve only ever dreamed of seeing without a screen between us, be it my phone, my laptop or the TV.

The day on a whole was fantastic, despite the early start; I got to see my favourite boy band with 3 of my best friends… what more could I ask for?

  Once in Manchester, we got our bearings to make sure we knew where to get into the arena, bought rather a lot of merch, and then found somewhere to have lunch. We had originally planned to go to Nando’s, and fortunately The Printworks is close to the MEN. Nando’s didn’t open until 11.30, and we arrived just after 10, so we made our way to the Arndale Centre, which was also closer than I had anticipated. We wandered round for a bit, before heading back to The Printworks. After waiting 10 minutes for the restaurant to open, we were turned away as they didn’t open until 12 due to some staffing problems. So, we practically raced another group of girls to the Arndale which also had a Nando’s, it turned out. Upon arrival, Megan and I ordered straightaway; we had deliberated on what to order in advance, so we had an advantage over the ‘others’. It was, of course, lunchtime and the chain was very busy, so the food took it’s time to come, but we all agree that it was well worth the wait!

With full stomachs, the four of us headed back to the MEN, where a crowd was already gathering outside the steps up to the doors. Our bags were searched for food and other restricted items, and we were allowed through! The excitement within our group was insane; we’d been looking forward to this day for so long and now we were just a few hours away! We queued a little longer at the doors, tickets in hand before being let into the tunnel surrounding the arena. I’d never been to a concert before, so it was fun trying to determine which way to go; left, or right? We went right, and had to walk a considerable way round the tunnel before we found the right door. Walking through was so intense for me, knowing the next time I walked out, I would have seen the boys with my own eyes. I felt sick with anticipation. I gasped as I walked out into the seats, taking in the huge expanse of the dome. We all squealed as we took our seats, realising how close we were to the B Stage, as well as the excellent view of the main stage. We were some of the first in, and watching the arena slowly fill up was something else; the more people came in, the more excited I got. There were music videos playing on the jumbo screens, building up the atmosphere as people enjoyed the music; Single Ladies was played at one point, and this one lad got up and started dancing! The arena cheered him on and a lot of people filmed it too!

The concert wasn’t due to start until 2, but at about 1.50, the lights went out in a flash, and the whole arena screamed. The first support act came on, and to be honest, I didn’t like her at all. With a rather annoying American accent she introduced herself as Camryn, and everyone turned to one another in confusion; who was she? Either way, she got everyone going, ready for One Direction. But, 5 Seconds of Summer were next, and they were fantastic! They were clearly enjoying themselves and I definitely was too, singing along with the rest of the crowd.

Then, the time came. The moment I had been waiting for for so long. The first video played on the jumbo screens and the arena went wild, my ears popping with the noise. The screens went black, and the stage lit up as the boys came running out, greeted with the loudest combined noise I have ever heard humans make. For the first few seconds, I absolutely screamed my head off, and then I just started crying. Tears streamed down my face for the first song, and then I got myself together. The rolled through the songs so fast, I could barely keep up. But I enjoyed every second of it, cheering and screaming, singing and dancing, taking photos and waving at the stage. I was having the time of my life, and I felt like all my dreams had come true, all at once. Like a 5 year old on Christmas Day.

Flying out over the crowd

Soon, they were flying forwards, out to the B Stage, directly in front of us. I screamed so hard as Niall waved at me, and I jumped up and down like as I waved back, grinning like an idiot. But right then, I didn’t care, and I still don’t. Niall waved at me and that’s all the matters to me!

The boys sang 2 songs on the B Stage, dancing and fooling around, waving at fans and singing their hearts out. Then, they flew back to the main stage, where they did the rest of their set list. I think my favourite song of the night was ‘Teenage Dirtbag’. I know it’s not their song, but they sang it like it was, and had an ear to ear grin on my face the whole way through.

I cried through the last two songs; the first songs from their two albums. I made every second last as I took in the arena; lights flashing and confetti floating. It was definitely the best time of my life, and it’s going to take a lot to beat it. I would give anything to go back and see them, over and over. 

Towards the end of the show; I like the lighting here.