Sunday 24 March 2013

Under The Weather


It’s never nice being ill, as it usually induces a whole heap of problems, as well as feeling like the contents of a bin bag – rubbish.

I’ve had a cold this weekend, which I think was worsened by the fact my younger sister had a sleepover last night; the pair of them kept out of my way well enough, but her room is right next to mine and I could hear them chortling away to themselves at half past 1 in the morning.

Yes, I was feeling sorry for myself, and I still am; she was having fun and I was lying in bed trying to sleep with a head full of wool. I just wish my ears were blocked, and then I wouldn’t have been able to hear them.
But even when you don’t have two 12 year olds thrown in, being sick is still no fun, and I always blame the Cavemen for it; surely the thought to kill the guy with a runny nose crossed their undeveloped minds? Or maybe not. But still, maybe that way we wouldn’t have so many strains of illnesses today.

You feel drowsy and moody and tired and you just want to sleep all day. But, for most people, this is not an option, and we have to carry on doing everything we would normally do; going to school or to work, tidying, cleaning, hoovering and, of course, one of my biggest problems; bending over to pick up the things I drop. It’s like a death wish for you and your sinuses.

I think just feeling ‘full of it’ is what effects people the most; the unwillingness to do anything, no matter how big or small the task. We just want to sit on the sofa and watch quiet TV with a cup of Lemsip, or tea, whichever one you prefer.

When I’m ill, I normally feel headachy, irritable, tired and woolly-headed which are some pretty common symptoms of a cold. Being anaemic doesn’t really improve things either; I feel dizzy and tired on a day to day basis and having a cold just emphasises this. The anaemia is tolerable when it’s by itself, as I suppose I’m used to the feeling now, but having a cold too just leaves me wanting to curl up in the fetal position next to my cat with a mug of tea.

My Mum thinks this is just the comedown from last weekend; I was on such a high from the concert and now I’m back down to Earth, sat at my laptop again. I think this is very likely, as I was very excited and giddy last weekend, and now my body is just too tired to keep me working properly. I don’t blame it to be honest.


Yes, I do feel sorry for myself, which is why I’m writing this pointless article. I’m not even ashamed of myself. That’s how rubbish I feel. I need a cup of tea.