Sunday 10 March 2013

Work Experience Part 2


Day 1:

I was eager to see how today would go, and overall, I’m pretty happy with how it all went. Despite initial nervousness, the staff made me feel welcomed and comfortable, and gave me jobs I was more than happy to do.
It was exciting to learn how to use the till, which was something I’d never done before. It was also interesting seeing how the prescriptions work. I’m definitely looking forward to tomorrow!

Day 2:

Today was really good; I enjoyed walking round town with David, talking to him about the pharmacy as we visited the other pharmacies in Kendal to collect prescriptions. I did some of the same things as yesterday; working on the till and date checking stock. I also got the chance to observe the process in the dispensary which was really interesting, as I’ve always wondered about what goes on behind the counter, and how everything works. They had different coloured baskets so the staff knew which ones were waiting, which were then more urgent than call backs, or deliveries.

Day 3:

Today was another good day – I did a range of different jobs, and my new skills are improving as I use them more; using the till to serve customers is getting easier. I was also allowed to make up a prescription in the afternoon, which meant looking through the draws filled with prescription drugs, to try and find the right drug with the right quantity. It was pretty confusing, but one of the staff helped me to find the right draw when I got stuck.

Day 4:

Once again, a great day; I took and gave out prescriptions and I asked the staff a few questions about the pharmacy, and the dispensary. I used the till a few times, not just to serve customers but to order stock too. I did some more unpacking of deliveries too, which is a simple job, but I quite enjoy it; I find it pretty interesting seeing which drugs the pharmacy needs the most of, and what kind of effect they have. It’s always fun to try and say the ridiculously long names of the drugs too!

Day 5:

A really good final day in my placement -  I filed away some old exempt prescriptions and did some shredding, which was a sort of exciting new task! The shredder had a sensor down the slot where the paper goes, and it always made me jump when the shredder came to life each time I slotted some paper in! I also did more unpacking of stock; there was so much! But today was quieter, so it was nice to chat to Alison whilst we unpacked box after box. When I got back from my lunch, they gave me £10 pounds to go down to WH Smiths with to buy some paper wallets and a binder with. This made me happy, as it showed they trusted me to take their money and buy the right things.
I’ve really enjoyed my week at Rowlands Pharmacy, and Alison ordered me to write down my address and phone number, so that when I turn 16 I might be able to apply for a Saturday job with them. I’ve definitely learned a lot, and it’s been a fantastic experience.

-

Work experience has been really wonderful; I didn’t really know what to expect during last week and I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn’t sure what kind of jobs I would be doing, as I’m only 14 and obviously have none of the appropriate qualifications the pharmacist has, or the dispensary assistants. But I did get to make up one prescription, and I found my way around the shop fairly easily, after date checking a few of the stands, and merchandising stock too.

I think I was very lucky with my placement, as I know some people haven’t really enjoyed their experience, or were expecting to be doing something different. I’ve learnt a lot about the basics of being in a pharmacy, and working in a regular shop too. It’s definitely something to look into as a career when I’m finished with my GCSE’s and starting to think about my A-Levels.

Medicine is a very wide field and I think there are a lot of careers open to me that I would enjoy. It’s just a matter of finding which one!